10 Crucial Voice Tips for Podcasters
It’s all about voice and connection in podcasting. I’m a voice expert and here are some of the mistakes I’d like to keep you from behind the microphone.
1. Get away from the script as much as you can. If you have to use a script, make sure you practice it out loud as much as you can to get it in the muscle memory.
2. Make sure you add stress to the words that you believe are important, and what you want us to know is important.
3. Always remember, we don’t know what you know.
4. Be very aware of pacing. Set a moderate pace, don’t go to fast, don’t go to slow, select moderate and then you can use faster and slower for affect at various places of stress.
5. Don’t be afraid to pause.
6. Don’t get too bogged down in the words. The words are everything and they are nothing, it’s the voice that brings them to life.
7. Breathing is essential. By breathing you relax, connect to the true voice and allow for organic variety.
8. It’s essential to connect to the breath to connect to the listener. Do this by letting the air out with the words, not holding it in and then speaking without it.
9. Volume is not the only go to for adding stress. Quiet has tremendous power.
10. Talk to us not at us. We want to have a conversation with you, even though we are not in the room.
I hope that helps! The voice is the most powerful tool we have, if we know how to use it. It’s essential to know what to do to bring the words to life. The words are just words if you don’t know how to use them.
If you’d like to know more or have me assess one of your podcasts, don’t hesitate to reach out at email@example.com